Acupuncture is a treating technique based on the Chinese Medicine. This medicine is very traditional, related and faithful to the culture that created it. The Chinese culture has two philosophies and thoughts that have influenced and still influence decisively our medicine: Confucianism and Taoism.
Confucianism. Confucianism began to develop around the sixth century BC thanks to Kong Fu Zi (Confucius). This philosophy dictates very strict moral standards based on the family and the human body. According to Confucius, family and body are sacred and untouchable.
Taoism. Is believed that its origin is due to the philosopher Lao Tzu, born around year 571 BC, and therefore Tse Kung contemporary. The Taoist philosophy helps us understand the human body, health and disease, in constant reference to nature. Are the Taoists who express that acting according to nature helps to increase physical resistance, prevents disease and delays aging.
The classical basis of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine are:
The theory of opposites or Yin and Yang
The theory of the five elements
The theory of channels and collaterals or meridians
In recent years, scientific studies have shown that acupuncture has a significant effect on the peripheral nervous system and that following the base of neurophysiology, effective treatments can be designed on these bases. These findings have enabled to progress in studies as for the scientific bases of acupuncture and also to improve traditional acupuncture treatments. ENERGIMED doesn't only stick to tradition; we are willing to move forward in order to provide more options for the cure and improvement of diseases and dysfunctions of the human body. For this reason we have incorporated innovative technologies into our regular acupuncture treatments.
METHODS OF DIAGNOSIS
In our practice, following these methods does not mean we leave aside conventional medicine methods of diagnosis, because as doctors, we perform them systematically. Chinese Medicine diagnosis methods will enable us to get to know which is the syndrome, according to the Chinese Medicine, which upsets the patient to then find a treatment:
- Anamnesis or medical history. Using the same questions of western medicine and some more related to Chinese Medicine such as heat or cold sensation, worsening depending on the weather, emotions, etc.
- Patient exploration. We will observe features different from the usual ones such as face colour, smell of the patient, red and pale areas, etc.
- Tongue. The tongue indicates the patient‘s energetic situation at the time of the visit. It is a very accurate diagnosis in which we observe the colour of the tongue, movement, shape, type of coat, etc.
- Pulse. The pulse diagnosis is made by palpation of the radial artery at both wrists and gives us information of the internal organs, depending on the quality of the pulse at different positions.
TREATMENT IN TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE
After reaching a diagnosis, in ENERGIMED we decide, establish and agree with the patient a specific treatment under the different therapies available, which include:
- Acupuncture. Application of acupuncture needles in acupuncture points to influence and balance meridians and internal organs.
- Moxibustion. Application of heat through sagebrush on acupuncture points and in certain areas. It is mainly used in diseases due to cold or moisture.
- Cupping. Application of cups by vacuum in certain areas to improve energy and blood circulation but also to release blockages.
- Diet Therapy. Under the same Chinese Medicine basis, Chinese dietary therapy is closely linked to seasons and climate of each area. Diet based on Chinese Medicine teaches us what to eat when we have an imbalance, helps us to improve it and especially and most importantly, explains what we should not eat to avoid getting worse.
Acupuncture has been gaining prestige over the last few years for its success when treating fertility. Today we are aware that acupuncture can have much interest in these types of treatment and at different levels:
1- Increase the fertility of both women and men
2- Increase the possibility of success in conventional fertility treatments
Why is acupuncture so effective?
Scientific studies have proven that acupuncture has a large local effect because of the insertion of thin needles in a specific area of the body. Applying thin needles for a certain period of time, for example in the lower abdominal area, improves the blood circulation and helps the energy flow in this area. This provides better function in the internal female genital organs.
We also are aware that acupuncture can regulate the autonomic or vegetative system, the system that regulates the functioning of internal organs. To improve fertility with acupuncture treatments needles are placed in points that have influence on nerve roots of this system, and mainly located on the legs and the sacrum area.
But studies have also shown that acupuncture releases endorphins in the central nervous system and that enhances the feeling of calmness and general patients’s welfare. This is a very important effect when improving fertility, especially if assisted reproduction treatments are required which often create, especially in women, stress and anxiety.
ENERGIMED has specialized in this type of treatment for a long time. We perform them both from our clinic in Av.Diagonal in Barcelona and from Clinica Salut de la Dona Dexeus, where we work together with relevant specialists in the field.
In a recently presented study at Col·legi de Metges in Barcelona, we reported the results obtained from an complementary acupuncture treatment in 38 patients receiving different techniques of assisted reproduction at Clínica Salut de la Dona Dexeus. While it is still a study with relatively few patients and that is only descriptive at the moment, we can conclude the following:
- Acupuncture has a positive effect on the pregnancy rate in our patients in combination with assisted reproductive techniques. We have obtained a 50% overall pregnancy rate compared to 37% without complementary acupuncture treatment.
- Acupuncture is well accepted and tolerated by our patients, there have been no complications or side effects.
- Acupuncture can be performed easily and in combination of assisted reproduction clinics, making the treatment more comfortable and less distressing for the patient.
"Agujas para la fecundación in Vitro" Article published in La Varguardia 8th december 2014
Good nutrition is essential for our well-being, it guarantees the optimal functioning of all our abilities and participates in the prevention and improvement of many alterations and imbalances. A personalized and varied diet helps us take care of our body and mind and at the same time allows us to enjoy food.
There is no ideal diet for all people as individual characteristics of health status, stage of life, physical activity, habits, personality, work conditions must be taken into account. and preferences to establish the most appropriate diet for each, at all times.
With individualized dietary guidelines, we will improve and help prevent obesity, hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, anemia, immune status, depression, insomnia, and anxiety.
At ENERGIMED we will help you to improve your eating habits, adapting them to your needs, so that they adjust to your lifestyle, with pleasant, healthy and varied meals.
1st session: Dietary interview, assessment of body composition, design and start of the work plan and treatment proposal.
Follow-up sessions: Assessment of adaptation to the plan, resolution of doubts, control of body composition, proposals for the follow-up plan.
Closing session: Assessment of the process and proposal of tools for the consolidation of long-term habits.
The follow-up needs will be assessed in the first session according to the individual work plan proposal.
If you have difficulty getting to our ENERGIMED Clinics or you have little time, on Thursdays we offer you an "on-line" visit service. These "on-line" visits must be arranged in advance by telephone at the ENERGIMED secretariat Tel 93 458 29 75.
Method of payment for online visits
Credit card when arranging the visit.
Dietitian. Higher technician in dietetics and higher degree in kitchen management.
The word physiotherapy comes from the Greek and is the union of: physis, meaning nature and therapeia, treatment.
Physiotherapy or physical therapy is one of the health sciences devoted to the study of life, health and human diseases related to body movement. It is characterized by the research of the proper development of the body's movement functions, where good or bad performance affects human body kinetics.
Physiotherapy treatment can be good when we have lost or we are about to loose our body’s proper movement but also if we want to prevent any problems in our musculoskeletal system.
The treatment we offer is varied and individualized using especially manual therapy: mobilization, stretching, massotherapy, kinesiotaping and combined sessions of physio / acupuncture, in which the anti-inflammatory acupuncture treatment increases the effects of the rehabilitation exercises.
Recommended in all types of disease or dysfunction of the musculoskeletal system, as sole treatment or as complementary therapy to other treatments.
Osteopathy is a holistic therapy that sees the body as a whole and is based on the theory that all body systems work in a coordinated and interrelated way. This means that some disorders may affect other systems and treating one can also improve those related.
General principles of osteopathy are:
- Body acts as a holistic unit.
- Body structure affects its function and vice versa.
- Body has self regulatory mechanisms (homeostasis).
- Body is always seeking for its repair, although disease alters it.
- The movement of body fluids is essential for maintaining health.
- Nerves play an important role in the control of body fluids.
Treatment involves a series of gentle manipulations, designed to relieve pain, restore function, and promote health and wellness. These manipulations of the musculoskeletal system can improve system problems and also cure or alleviate disease or dysfunction of vital organs. Manipulations, which in our clinic are always smooth and free of forced movements, help to revitalize blood supply in a certain area or organ and return the normal mobility degree in a failed joint.
There are different types of osteopathy:
- Structural: musculoskeletal apparatus.
- Cranio-sacral: cranial problems and their influence on the nervous system.
- Visceral: Focused to organs and viscera (manipulations to improve blood flow).
In your first visit to ENERGIMED we will evaluate the problem and plan the treatment. This treatment might require just one session, or in the case of an acute problem we might recommend 4 to 8 sessions, scheduled at least every 15 days in the case of chronic pathologies.
Teresa Rosa Ratera
This section was born with the aim of gathering all medicines and therapies in one, by using the most suitable remedies or techniques in each case, to promote health, improve quality of life and enhance conventional treatment, minimizing side effects as much as possible, avoiding interactions and taking contraindications into account.
It is well known that conventional oncology medical treatments are not free of side effects. ENERGIMED works to minimise and even sometimes avoid them, always bearing in mind the contraindications and possible interactions, enhancing the healing effect.
Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes 620, 4rt 2a - 08007 Barcelona
Tel. 93 458 29 75 / 600 20 67 17 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subway: L2, L4, L5 (Passeig de Gràcia) - L1, L3 (Plaça Catalunya)
Bus: H12 - 7 - 50 - 54 - 62
Railroads Generalitat: Plaça Catalunya
Local trains Renfe: Plaça Catalunya
Sri Lankan medical acupuncturist with more than 50 years of clinical experience and as a teacher in different countries. Her work methodology is clear and easily applicable to acupuncture treatments. She is the author of the books Energetic Acupuncture and Cosmetic Acupuncture, translated and distributed into various languages.